søndag 27. januar 2008

Chocolat

Every year, just before Lent starts, some years during Lent, I read Joanne Harris' Chocolat. About Vianne and Anouk and their struggle to find a place to live and belong in a small French village.
Chocolate curls, white buttons with colored vermicelli, pain d'épices with gilded edging, marzipan fruits in their nests of ruffles paper, peanut brittle, clusters, cracknells, assorted misshapes in half-kilo boxes...I sell dreams, small comforts, sweet harmless temptations to bring down a multitude of saints crash-crash-crashing among the hazels and nougatines.....
Is that so bad?
Joanne Harris has been a favorite writer of mine for many years. I have all her books, and I read them and reread them again and again.
I always red with both my eyes and with a pencil. Last year I underlines colours, this year I follow the wind around Vianne.

1 kommentar:

Julie sa...

I love Joanne Harris too. I chose "Five Quarters of the Orange" when I hosted book club, and all the members loved it too.

I have read most of her books, I think, except "Gentlemen and Players" (is that the correct title?) Do you recommend it?

Julie