onsdag 16. januar 2008

Out of this Century

Art in Venezia is often connected with old, heavy places, to the many churches or to the Accademia and the several Scuolas. Or totally modern stuff like the Biennale. I love all this, but there is (at least) one more place I always visit when I am in Venezia;
The Peggy Guggenheim museum.

Last year, in April, we took our 11 year old daughter to Venezia for a week. She did not have art museums high up on her list of places she wanted to visit, so we agreed that one museum would be enough, and the choice would be hers. Before the trip whe had listened to an audio about a crime mystery in Venice solved by two children. A Picasso painting from Peggy Guggenheim was stolen. So Marta's desicion was easy to make; Peggy Guggenheim was to be her museum. A choice I had no problem to accept :-)

After several visits to the museum I wanted to know more about this fascinating art collector, and last autumn I bought her autobiography in the museums souvenir store;
Out of this Century. Confessions of an Art Addict.

Peggy Guggenheim's life was totally different from the life I am leading, though reading her life story was enirely captivating. What a remarkably lady!

Ingen kommentarer: