onsdag 2. januar 2008

The Devil and Miss Prym

Down in the basement we have an exercise bike. I try to bike for 15-20 minutes almost every day. Near the bike I have a pile of my Paulo Coelho book and I read while biking. Coelho's writing is perfect to take my mind away from the boring excercise :-)
For the moment I am reading The Devil and Miss Prym, a book which dramatize the struggle which can be found in all of us, the struggle between light and darkness. Do we dare to follow our dreams, do we have the courage to be different and to master the fear that prevents us from truly living?

....the people of Viscos always believed that every stranger would be fascinated by their natural, healthy way of life, and they would repeat and expand upon their benefits of life away from modern civilisation, even though, deep in their hearts, every single one of them would have loved to live far from there, among cars that pollute the atmosphere and in neighbourhoods where it was too dangerous to walk, for the simple reason that big cities hold an enormous fascinations for country people.

Happy reading!

3 kommentarer:

Sonja Sommers-Milbourn sa...

Wouldn't you know, Britt...This is the ONE Paulo Coehlo novel I do NOT have on my shelf! Clint and I shared a reading of By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, after reading The Alchemist...and I became a fan of P. Coehlo...I've even named our precious black miniature dachshund after him ;-)

Britt-Arnhild sa...

Hi Sonja. How cool to have a cat named after Coelho.

The Alchemist is among my all-time favorite books.

BookLover sa...

I'm planning to read Coehlo's books soon as well, as I have only read the Pilgrimage (which you recommended to me) and the alchemist.

And how cool it is to have a dog named after Coelho as well, even cooler than having a cat named after him. lol