fredag 18. januar 2008

Venetian Dreaming

I got out of the train, passed through bland, 1958's Santa Lucia station with its shops selling newspapers, knickknacks, and chewing gum. I walked down the broad, shallow steps to the pavement and was surprised by what I saw; surprised by one of the most often reproduced views in the world; a sight I myself had seen ten years earlier. Nothing - not photographs or movies, memories or paintings, nor all the words of Henry James - is a match for Venice in person.

Today's quote is from Paula Weideger's book
Venetian Dreaming which came in 2004. Weideger lived in the city for some time, and has written a very interesting book about her experiences. I bought the book at the international bookstore not far from Santa Lucia railway station, and has walked many a mile in Venice following Paula Weideger's steps.

4 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

God dag Britt-Arnhild, I was wondering if you have happened upon the following book in your Venetian visits:
Taste of Venice-traditional Venetian cooking by Jeanette Nance Nordio. It has beautiful watercolour illustrations by Sally Spector and I suspect it is "just up your street" as we English say! I will glsdly lend you my copy if you wish..but it was a special gift from my father when he lived in Venice and so I can't lose it! I see it is available on Amazon, but they don't have a picture of it. Gill:)

Britt-Arnhild sa...

Hi dear Gill. I would LOVE to see your books. May be we can meet in Oslo one day for a latte?

Anonym sa...

That sounds great...just let me know when you are next around! I think you have my email? Gill:)

Anonym sa...

Hi Gill. No, I don't think I have your email. Can you sent it to:
knitwoman1958@yahoo.com

Do you have a cell phone?