søndag 13. januar 2008

Airport Bookstores

The most severe temptations I meet in my life must be airport bookstores. Why is it that I can never pass one without stopping to flip through a few books, look at the shelves, breathing deeply the fragrance of newly printed paper, reading titles and dreaming up stories......

Friday afternoon I was in a hurry when I came to Oslo airport to fly home to Trondheim. Lucky for me the cheking in of my suitcase and the security went quite fast. Finally inside I ran to the toilet before looking at my wristwatch - "yes, I still had three minutes"! Walking into the airport bookstore I went right to the counter. I knew what I was looking for and also knew that I had no extra time to search for the book myself.

"Excuse me" I said to the young man behind the counter. I was sure he would have no idea about the book I wanted but I still gave it a try. "Do you have The Boy Who Could Answer Everything, or as it is called in English-
Q and A?" The young man looked at me smiling, "Yes, madam, I unpacked this book only minutes ago. Please come with me."

Two minutes later I boarded my plane, the lucky owner of a wonderful book set in India, telling the story of India in a totally new way. Q&A is Vikas Swarup's first book.

Ingen kommentarer: